Reply To: IRS Assessment Related to Advance Premium Repayment

Home Forums Member Forum IRS Assessment Related to Advance Premium Repayment Reply To: IRS Assessment Related to Advance Premium Repayment

Bryan Haarlander
Participant

Samantha, Thanks for responding. Father & son each filed MFJ in 2017. Son was not claimed as a dependent on father’s 2017 return.

Son filed his 2017 Form 1040 in Feb of 2019. He was waiting for the Exchange to send paperwork showing that he had been deleted from father’s marketplace plan. Father filed his return on 04/17/18. Father’s return included Form 8962 showing family size of 3 (H, W & another child). Son was not included. The 1095A shows 4 persons covered, the peviously mentioned 3 family members plus the son in question.

The family has no evidence of notifying marketplace to delete son from father’s plan. So the marketplace paid an insurance comaany a premium for the son. I would imagine if the father/son could show proof that the exchange was notified to delethe the son, the son would have recourse. If there is no proof of the notification to eliminate the son from the father’s plan, I would assume that since the premium was paid by the marketplace, the son must repay it.

Am I missing something?