ActiveRain or Blogger

Home Forums Member Forum ActiveRain or Blogger

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Hey all,

Just curious who is using Blogger vs who is using ActiveRain for their blogging. I don’t see that ActiveRain offers a free trial month anymore, so I’m trying to decide if ActiveRain is worth the monthly investment vs Blogger which is free.
    Would love to see and contrast the group’s experiences.

Rachel

Eric Green
    Keymaster

Rachel, if you listen to my marketing program I explain why I use active rain, but it is $199 a year. Here is my suggestion: start using blogger, follow the rules for blogging I laid out (200-500 words, localism, 4% key word density, etc) and see if your blog entries start to rank in google searches. If so run with the free one. If after a few weeks and 8-10 entries they dont rank, consider spending the money for Active Rain.

That’s a great idea, Eric! I think I’ll give that a whirl first to see how things go, and then switch if I’m not seeing results.

As a follow up I live in Texas in a small community of about 40K people, but I’m 2 hours from Houston and 3 hours from DFW. I also live about 90 minutes from Tyler, TX which is about 100K in population. I don’t know that targeting my town will yield much in terms of clients. Should I try to woo people from Houston/DFW or focus on Tyler or all three? Should I do an identical blog post for each area and include those keywords in the blog?

Thanks,

Rachel

Eric Green
    Keymaster

Rachel, I would start by focusing on where you are and see how it shows up in the google results. For instance, I tend to hammer New Haven but I show up in the Hartford and Stamford searches because google knows that people looking in New Haven also will look in those other cities which are not far away.
    As far as your area, one way to know how many people are in trouble is to contact a company about purchasing a lien list and see how many names they can come up with in your area. They usually will email and say they can generate a list of 150, 350, whatever number of names. That should give you a sense of the numbers in trouble in your area. If you have little competition it might make sense for you to actually buy the list (its a few hundred dollars) and send a letter “What to do if you cannot pay the taxes.” This is not a technique I have ever used but I tried the “how many names can you generate’ approach with a lien list company and they have a 600 name minimum order and they could not generate the 600 names. Connecticut is not a very big place either, yet we are swamped with work.

jeff1
    Blocked

Were do I find the list of 170 topics to blog about?

Eric Green
    Keymaster

Jeff, go into the Training Video area and in the marketing section look for the download on “Blog Topics”. Also, i think it’s 70, not 170.

jeff1
    Blocked

Thank you Eric. Enjoy your vacation

Michael O’Leary
    Participant

I trust Eric, I’m using Active Rain. That’s 1/2 of a tax return for me and 1 hour of representation billing.

So I ran the experiment you suggested, Eric, and made a blog entry on Blogger on 12/31 and another one on 1/21 (yeah my consistency stunk). I had 0 views, and I didn’t show up anywhere on Google or my preferred search engine Duck, Duck, Go’s search engines.

Finally bit the bullet this afternoon and paid for an Active Rain subscription this afternoon, and posted the same blog post from Blogger over to ActiveRain around 1 pm. As of about 5 minutes ago when I did a search on Duck, Duck, Go for “IRS Tax Resolution Lufkin, TX” my blog post is in the first position on the results page!! *happy dance* Still no traction on Google, but I am thrilled to see I ranked on Duck, Duck, Go!

I already have two more blog posts primed and ready to post at a later date. 😀

I am a believer now, Eric!! Forgive me for ever doubting!

Rachel

Eric Green
    Keymaster

Listen I can only share what I know works, and active rain works. I hate to pay for something I can get for free but there is some truth to you get what you pay for!

Christopher Carmona
    Participant

I’m on blogger, Tumblr, google maps (as an owner allows a small blog area), Patch, and YouTube. I also repost in Linked-In and Twitter.

It’s been 2-3 weeks now and I don’t rank at all in google searches except for my yelp account which has always ranked well.

I’ll let you know if things change.

Michael O’Leary
    Participant

Eric, I joined TRN right after the conference, listened to your podcast and joined Active Rain (paid) right away. I just posted my tenth article and am now on the first page of Google for “tax resolution” without spending any money on Google ad campaigns.

Eric Green
    Keymaster

That has been my and other members experience as well. Just keep going with the consistent posting – 2 a week or more if you are inclined – and pretty soon you will dominate page 1 of the google rankings

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.