Can CPA’s Assist with FIling Organizational Documents for Entities?

Home Forums Member Forum Can CPA’s Assist with FIling Organizational Documents for Entities?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Gary Massey
    Participant

Hi, team.

What are your views about CPA’s offering entity organization services through a company like CorpNet? I am only talking about single member LLC’s or corporations. Partnerships need an attorney.

Your thoughts???

Terrence Power
    Participant

I’ve been doing it for years. I don’t use a third party, I just file simple documents with the secretary of state here in Colorado. I make sure my clients understand I’m not an attorney and don’t provide legal advice, nor am I qualified to do so.

I’m in a ski resort and most of our small businesses couldn’t afford to pay an attorney, unless they are in the business of selling real estate.

Eric Green
    Keymaster

I am not thrilled with the idea because so many clients get into trouble because they use boilerplate documents. For a single owner entity I think it could be okay, but if there is more than one I would advise the client to seek corporate counsel to work through the provisions.

samantha
    Blocked

In PA it is considered legal services to file paperwork for a LLC or Corp so I’ve had to use a 3rd party like LegalZoom. I have done it, I throw in getting the EIN and the PA numbers so I feel like I’m adding some value. But I really feel like it’s a lot of work for not much money and my time is better spent on other things (unless I am going to get the tax work). You could work up a business consultation package with the entity creation but again, most people are not going to pay a lot for it and if they are, I feel like the money is better spent with a lawyer who can draw up a tailored agreement. Those boilerplate agreements are total garbage and generally useless.

Bryan Haarlander
    Participant

We echo Samantha’s comments, especially about PA DOS considering this the practice of law. Better idea. Create a mutual referring relationship between an attorney who can do these filings and the attorney in turn refers tax resolution to you.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.