Getting Started

Home Forums Member Forum Getting Started

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hello – I recently joined and am enjoying the videos and content on here.

New client that I am in the process of onboarding. Client received a pair of CP504 notices. Client’s deceased wife previously handled tax returns for the applicable years that the notices are for. Amounts due are not substantial, however client is unsure as to what liability is for. Client has not filed tax returns for each of 2016, 2017 and 2018.

My plan is to respond to the notices by calling the IRS (I have a POA) and finding out what I can. I will order transcripts/Mod A as well while simultaneously getting the last 3 years of returns filed.

Client has means to pay amounts from both notices (total is approx $10k) and may opt for an installment plan but he lacks understanding of what his wife did with preparation of returns. I am concerned that more if these may be forthcoming.

Any guidance for other matters to consider would be appreciated.

Eric Green
    Keymaster

Matthew, I would do exactly what you laid out: call the IRS and request what years have balances due and get transcripts for those years. You can also ask for wage and earning reports.

Prepare the missing returns and get those filed.

If he can full pay, great. If he owes under $100,000 then perhaps just do a streamlined IA.

KATHLEEN DYE
    Blocked

Hello,

I am new to this area… I have handle simpled tax matters and exams but have not felt comfortable getting into deliquent accounts.

Currently, I have a client that I feel may qualify as CNC.. I have a couple of questions..
    1. The client is recently divorced… Has 50/50 custody of the children.. Would he get 3 for calculation of National Standards or does it have to be prorated?

2. Currently, has a payment plan but unable to pay current estimated taxes each year and is always redoing the payment agreement when taxes are filed. If the CNC is appropriate, when 2018 is filed should the payments for the plan just be stopped? File the 433 and get the 2019 sent in early Feb to include?

Thank you for any help you can provide.
    Kathi

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.