New at this and have a couple of Questions before I meet a client

Home Forums Member Forum New at this and have a couple of Questions before I meet a client

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    KATHLEEN DYE
    Blocked

Hello,
    (I posted under someone elses so I am thinking I did that wrong.)
    I am new to this area… I have handle simpled tax matters and exams but have not felt comfortable getting into deliquent accounts.

Currently, I have a client that I feel may qualify as CNC.. I have a couple of questions..
    1. The client is recently divorced… Has 50/50 custody of the children.. Would he get 3 for calculation of National Standards or does it have to be prorated? Or does he have to claim the children to count them?

2. Currently, has a payment plan but unable to pay current estimated taxes each year and is always redoing the payment agreement when taxes are filed. If the CNC is appropriate, when 2018 is filed should the payments for the plan just be stopped? File the 433 and get the 2019 sent in early Feb to include?

Thank you for any help you can provide. I have enjoyed the deepp dive videos. I have learned things but would like to see more on the forms that are prepared and more explanation of the pre-letter clearance. I am still looking at the videos… it may be I just haven’t watched a more in depth section. If you could refer me to videos that would be great!

Kathi

Eric Green
    Keymaster

Kathi,

Is the client paying child support? If so then the children’s cost is already factored in. If not I would claim the three for the standards and let the IRS push back.

Eric

Steve Odem
    Participant

I assume you have run your client through IRS’ collection national standards and either 433-A or F as appropriate as Eric touched on?

That will give you a very good idea of what IRS will be looking at.

KATHLEEN DYE
    Blocked

Thanks Steve. I have on prior year information. There is a new clitch. Our area had a an extreme tornado in May and now he is making a ton of money. So rethinking what is going to be best option.

Eric Green
    Keymaster

He may have to get into an IA and if things slow down in the future consider an OIC then.

I have had similar situations, and clients get annoyed but there is little we can do. They can always stop making money…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.