Reasonable Cause letter

Home Forums Member Forum Reasonable Cause letter

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    michelle
    Blocked

Hello, I have a client, which I addressed in here previously, that I am trying to get a Reasonable Cause abatement since they denied the FTA.

The client suffers from severe depression and was not taking his meds as directed for the time period in question. He also had computer issues and he suffered data loss.

I have obtained copies of his CVS prescription purchases that show depression prescriptions filled from 12/26/2017 to currently. The tax year we are going for abatement is 2016, which we filed in 2018 (after he was back on the meds).

He also sent copies of Amazon receipts showing purchase of Memory Expansion and Replacement in September & October of 2016.

My questions are:
    1. Can I put both reasons in the same letter? (illness and loss of data)
    2. Would the attachments I have be helpful?
    3. Any other suggestions?

The following is what I have typed up:

“When the time came to prepare Form 1040 for the period ending December 31, 2016, I was seriously ill. I suffer from severe depression and it continues as an ongoing battle. I was not taking my medication as directed and it was therefore difficult for me to manage tasks that were outside my comfort zone. Taxes are on top of this category, along with multiple data losses over several PC’s, it was just too much to try and handle at the time. All of my other business obligations were adversely affected by my inability to perform my responsibilities as well.

Upon a brief reprieve in my symptoms in mid-2018, I compiled all information promptly, hired someone to prepare the past due returns, and submitted them.

I declare under penalties of perjury that the above information is true, correct, and complete to the best of my knowledge and belief.”

Thank you for any help that you can offer. I need to get this sent in as soon as possible. Thank you.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.