Selective Information or everyone lies

Home Forums Member Forum Selective Information or everyone lies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    samantha
    Blocked

I have this client whom I am only working with because she is the sister of a very good client. She’s a non-filer and I pulled all the transcripts but I feel like I am not getting information unless I ask the right question. Like, I was not told she was married in a civil union during part of the missing tax years or that there was an adopted child until it came out today. Then I’m on the phone and I hear her say, ‘go ask daddy’, so I had to ask if someone else was living there (we were talking about filing HOH). What really makes me confused though is the IRS tipped me off that she was married before as they hinted I should get a separate assessment on my POA. I did but the transcripts on e-services said no information. So why did the IRS say that? I’m going to call them tomorrow but I feel like I might be missing more info than what is on the W&I. Has anyone found some ticking time bomb not readily visible on the transcripts on eservices?

Eric Green
    Keymaster

Samantha, it may be time to have a blunt conversation in terms they can understand: money! Inform them that they seem to be holding back critical facts, which causes you to waste time and their money, and you are losing face with the IRS, who will at some point in frustration just decide to levy everything and stop working with the taxpayer. you need them to come clean and sit there and tell you everything you need to know. Otherwise you may want to withdraw.

samantha
    Blocked

Thanks Eric. I ended up asking for $750 to start the back returns and do further research and I have not heard back. In general, 90% of people who ask me to help them disappear when I ask for money upfront. I’m not sure I will actually have a rep practice but time will tell I guess. In the meantime I am enjoying learning in the event someone comes up with the cash. At least I will be prepared.

Eric Green
    Keymaster

Samantha, if the client is referred by someone – a realtor, an attorney, etc – they will pay and stick. This is why you charge for the consult, and why I don’t market on the radio or TV. But don’t worry, they will eventually come in and pay. The IRS will at some point make them so uncomfortable they come back. More and more i find that happens. If not now it will be in 6 months or so.

samantha
    Blocked

Thanks Eric! That brings to mind a question, is there a certain time of year people are more likely to contact you for rep work than others? I was not sure if the IRS sent out letters at certain times during the year.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.